Keyword search recipes or articles
Mauritshuis complex to double in size
Tags: Excerpts from the Windmill
THE HAGUE – Another very well-known Dutch museum is closing its doors for an extended period of time; from 2012 through midway 2014. Originally built as the residence of Count Johan Maurits van Nassau-Siegen, while he served as governor of Dutch Brazil, it was turned into a museum in 1822 to house an extensive state-owned art collection. Since then, the museum has developed into a major tourist attraction with 250,000 visitors going through its stiles in 2007. Privatized in 1995, the museum complex will be linked with an underground foyer to the building across the street, in effect doubling its available space and opening new opportunities for The Hague’s premier art collection. Many of the paintings likely will be on display elsewhere in the city. Photo of the museum by Pojtr De Praetere.