Keyword search recipes or articles
Foundations Brabant farmhouse yield treasures
Site inhabited since early 15th century
Tags: Excerpts from the Windmill
SCHIJNDEL, the Netherlands - Renovations at a local farmhouse are giving archeologists an extensive glimpse in building construction from the seventeenth century, and perhaps even earlier. Still far more appealing to peopleís imagination is the find of two jars filled with gold and silver coins from that era. Some fifty years ago, digging at the site also had unearthed a treasure in coins.
Little is known about the history of the farmstead or about its owners who may have hidden the coins, perhaps as long as 250 years ago. Around 1410, people lived at the location, but in decades or centuries since, the dwelling and others that were built on the site, burned down or were otherwise demolished.
Evidence of fires has been found in the layers of soil beneath the current house. That structure has not stood there that long yet: it was built after a fire in 1910 destroyed an earlier farm house.
Removal of the floors of the current, 300 square metres building laid bare cellar ceiling vaults from an earlier home, as well as a stone water well which continues down and outside the walls of the building.
When in the 1950s, previous owners were renovating the place, the first jar of coins was found. Further digging did not yield any more treasures, because much of the land was built on. When the current owners had more elaborate remodeling plans, more digging was possible underneath the old floors.
Schijndel, southeast of Brabantís provincial capital of Den Bosch, originated as the hamlet Skinle, which already was known in the 13th century.