Keyword search recipes or articles
Former camp barracks discovered at local farm
Tags: Excerpts from the Windmill
ROUVEEN – A former barracks once part of Kamp Conrad, a forced labour site for Jewish men during the German occupation of the Netherlands, has been located at a farm where it had been used as a shed. After World War II the camp was home to families of former Moluccan soldiers, who were repatriated from the former Dutch East Indies when it gained independence as Republica de Indonesia. Former Moluccan camp residents confirmed that the farm building was once part of the camp. Elderly Dutch-American Coen Rood, a Holocaust survivor now living in Texas, also recognized the barracks. Set up in 1929, the camp was used for a range of purposes. Its last part was torn down in 2007. A memorial marker will be dedicated on the site later this year.