Topics

Features

News Articles

Location of demolished monastery declared a national heritage site


Tags: Excerpts from the Windmill

RINSUMAGEEST The former site of the Klaarkamp Cistercian monastery, demolished centuries ago, has been declared a national archeological monument. Unfortunately, the 4,5 high metre site was leveled between 1858 and 1941 although much of the archeological findings were documented and preserved. Experts say that the site still contains more evidence of human habitation, possibly going back to Roman times. Daughter monastry Aduard was also declared such a heritage site. Bolsward and Gerkesklooster were the other branch monastries of the order founded by Burgundian nobleman Bernard van Clairvaux, noted twelfth-century theologian whose writings are still read and discussed. At the time Klaarkamp was shut down on March 3, 1580, it owned numerous farms, some hoven, and the island of Schiermonnikoog. Its monks manufactured bricks, called kloostermoppen, among other things.